WHAT IS ZIRCONIA CROWN?
Zirconia is a translucent material reflecting light much more naturally than other dental materials and is therefore considered to be a highly satisfactory esthetic treatment option, especially in esthetically demanding cases.
Also zirconia has proven to integrate much more naturally with the oral tissues. Another critical point is that crowns fabricated from zirconia do not require metal frameworks. Owing to these characteristics zirconia is highly preferable for front teeth esthetic make-overs and is also safe and suitable for larger posterior teeth.
Who can receive zirconia crowns?
Which patients are then eligible for treatment with these zirconia crowns? Owing to high acceptance and satisfaction rates that zirconia restorations return many patients rightly enquire their nature?
There are a very limited number of cases where zirconia crowns can not be used. The many conditions where it can be used include;
- Developmental structural discolorations and/or unsatisfactory results from dental bleaching procedures
- Allergies to metal framework and irritations to other dental materials
- Advanced discoloration cases
- Improving results for previosly separated or prepared and restored teeth
- Repair of fractures and cracks of existing crowns or bridges
- Any condition affecting patients esthetically or functionally causing displeasure
- Fractures caused by other procedures or trauma
- Severe misalignments or malpositions realistically correctible by crowns or bridges
How are zirconia crowns fabricated?
With advancements in technology dentists now have the opportunity to share dental treatment plans with their patients by digitalizing and monitorizing these plans in a way to communicate and discuss the desired outcome with patients. Such a technological development includes the transfer of the oral condition to a digital platform using 3D scanners.
- Under ideal conditions of health, the treatment can be completed in 3 appointments spanning 7 days. The desired colour is then registered together with the patient
- The teeth in question are prepared under a local anesthetic
- An impression is obtained either conventionally using impression materials or digitally
- The impression is sent off to the laboratory while the patient is supplied with a temporary restoration
- The second appointment is reserved for evaluating the zirconia restoration in terms of shape, dimensions and structure, looking at factors such as lip support and esthetics
- After the most satisfactory result for the patient is obtained the work is sent back to the laboratory to be finalized
- The final adjustments are done, and the restoration is ready to be delivered to the patient at the last appointment
What to watch for after receiving your zirconia crowns?
As ever there are certain points to watch for following the delivery of the zirconia restorations.
- Make sure to wait at least 1-2 hours before consuming anything allowing for the prostheses to set in. Until 24 hours after delivery avoid eating hard foods that might dislodge the restoration. You may resume your normal diet thereafter.
- Mild pain can be managed using pain-relieving medication. Make sure to consult your dentist beforehand.
- Zirconia restorations require just as much oral care as natural teeth do. Brush and floss regularly, and follow a strict follow-up protocol every 6 months. Also use dental moutwashes regularly after brushing. Interdental brushes and flosses should be incorporated into your daily routine care.
- Small bleeding during the early period after delivery is not a cause for concern. Consult your dentist only if you notice persistent bleeding.
- Mild dental sensitivity is a possible consequence initially after treatment. Again, this situation is temporary and should subside soon after. Your dentist may prescribe sensitivity-relieving products if necessary.
- Zirconia restorations are considered more hygienic than other dental restorations, accumulating less plaque over time. Nevertheless follow your dentists advice with regards to routine dental care.
Nispetiye Mh. Aytar Cd. Aytar Apt No.20 Daire: 4 Etiler / İstanbul
ÜCRETSİZ Randevu Talebi